Monday, January 30, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Kid Named Breezy








































It's A Rap recently had the opportunity to sit down with one of the freshest new comers in the game.  Mr. Snapback himself gives one on one insight to what makes his music stand on the front lines of an expanding generation and how current hip- hop is directly reminiscent of the 90's.  He breaks down his future plans, artists he would like to work with, even his top five snapbacks. (From a massive collection)  KNB demonstrates that being young, fly, and flashy doesn't have to detract from lyrical prowess, and in his case, lyrics reign supreme.  The Kid has incorporated swag from two decades ago, a savvy business sense, and an impeccable drive for perfection-- makes him a force with which to be reckoned.  Take a journey into the mind of the DMV's newest wordsmith.  I present to you, Kid Named Breezy...


IAR: What made you start writing and want to be a part of hip- hop?
KNB: "I think the music today man, it's just repetitive.  I wanted to bring diversity to an industry that's focused on money, and just, flash you know?  I started off when I was 16 just making stuff I thought people wanted to hear you know, like money, cars, women, stuff like that.  So when I switched it over to "Snapback With A Life Full" I wanted to bring something different.


IAR: Biggest Influences?
KNB: "Tupac Shakur, Fresh Prince, and a Tribe Called Quest."


IAR: What sets you apart from current artists and artists trying to emerge into the industry?
KNB: "My aspect on 90's hip- hop man.  My fashion sense is more 90's, what I talk about is more 90's, I tell stories, I'm very diverse.  I can make a record like "Whoa There" for the club and still be lyrical, then make a record like "She Said" and bring it back to like a Pharcyde feel, you know what I'm sayin?"


IAR: Current state of Hip- Hop?
KNB: "It's on the rise.  Dudes like Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, myself, Jay Electronica.  As far as like huge industry wise, J. Cole. I feel like he's in a place where he's blowing up.  I think lyricism is definitely coming back where people wanna hear it."


IAR: Give me your five favorite snapbacks. You have like what, 100, 200?
KNB: (Laughs) "Yeah man.  I'd have to say one would be my Bulls hat,  it's messed up now so I have to get a new one.  I like all Tisa snapbacks.  My Miami Hurricanes joint is official!  I have this joint called Doper Than The Dope or something like that, it's tight.  Oh I have an Adventure Times snapback, you ever watch Adventure Times? The Cartoon? (Laughs) It says heck yea and has the dog and the kid on it. Then probably my Grizzlies snapback.  The alternate jersey joint!"


IAR: How did you come up with the concept for "Snapback With A Life Full?"
KNB: "I feel like we're in a time of 90's fashion where snapbacks are coming back.  My tape resembles a snapback.  I'm giving you a tape of what I consider my life and what I think other people can relate to.  So the snapback is a metaphor for my tape."


IAR: What's the difference between Young World and Lifers?
KNB: "Lifers is me, my producer Jigg, and my boy Marley, he's on the tape too, on the record "So Live."  Young World is just my clothing line.  I like to incorporate fashion in my music."


IAR: Who would be some ideal artists for you to work with?
KNB: "Definitely want to work with Kendrick Lamar.  I'm about to work with Fat Trel on a record.  Man, uhm, J. Cole.  Big Sean, I definitely wanna work with Big Sean."
IAR: Yeah I could see Sean on a "Whoa There" remix!
KNB: (Laughs) "Yeah you never know man!  Also, Rihanna and Kanye." 


IAR: What role do you feel social media plays in hip- hop and how has it helped jump start your career?
KNB: "AN AMAZING ROLE!  That's what everybody does now.  You can put a video on World Star, (WorldStarHipHop.com) and have millions of hits and that can be it right there, you know what I'm sayin?"  Everybody takes from World Star, so that goes to other markets and other websites.  I just think it's so important to keep people updated EVERY WEEK, EVERY WEEK, EVERY WEEK, something new. Music, videos, more music,more videos, interviews, radio, freestyles, all the time.  You have to put your name in their head until they get tired of it!  Your team is very important too.  You have to have people that cover all bases."


IAR: Future plans?
KNB: "Second tape, probably this summer.  Just keep pushin' my name, more music, more visuals from "Snapback With A Life Full."Just making people more aware of a Kid Named Breezy.  Like I said, the second tape, probably in July."


IAR: Thanks bro I appreciate it!
KNB: "SWAAGGG" (Laughs)


Snapback With A Life Full: The Tape
"Kid Named Breezy" Tee




Download Snapback With A Life Full: The Tape at www.datpiff.com
Follow on Twitter @KidNamedBreezy
#Lifers






No comments:

Post a Comment