Monday, May 7, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Justina

The perception of female MC's is often times appearance is what sells their brand.  Talent and inherent knowledge of the rap game tends to be overlooked and women find themselves in a situation where their entire image is being dictated to them.  Areas such as style, content, PR, etc. are fabricated to perpetrate a carbon copy of what a female hip-hop artist "should" look like.  Justina refuses to be fabricated.  Sure she encompasses all of the traits to fulfill the female rap paradigm, she's sexy, cute, stylish, and seems to have to wherewithal to transition a hip-hop career to other avenues of entertainment, but that is not what comprises her as an artist.  She can REALLY rap.  Her flow, delivery, and lyricism rival other big name female MC's.  The New Jersey native is creating her own lane.  Granted, hip-hop and pop music has been combined forever, regardless, the difference between her and the rest of the crossover artists is that Justina maintains a hip-hop legitimacy.  Her dope lyrics don't get lost in translation through a pop metamorphosis making her an artist that the rap industry respects as original and authentic.  Fans will find themselves listening to her words as opposed to seeing what she's wearing.  Even with a very limited resume' of projects, Justina has been able to ink a deal with SRC/Universal, release multiple videos, and obtain multiple co-signs by some formidable names is hip-hop.  It's A Rap recently had the chance to talk to the "Bubble Gum" MC and with a growing momentum and buzz, the upcoming release of "Route 80," and an appeal that extends well past stereotypical constraints, the hip-hop Joan Jett is ready to take the game by storm.  Guys and girls take heed.


IAR: When did you get your start in hip-hop?
Justina: "I fell in love with Hip Hop in grade school listening to Lil Kim and Tupac.  I used to put my name in all of Lil Kim's rhymes."


IAR: Describe your sound.
Justina: "Eclectic.  Raw.  Unfiltered.  Hip Hop with a strong pop sensibility."


IAR: What/Who have been influential to your career?
Justina: "My dad, my producer Shy Boogs, Tupac, Nas, Lil Kim, The Beatles, Eminem, Madonna, Jay- Z, Kanye... Life in general."


IAR: What's setting you apart from other emerging female MC's?
Justina: "I write my own rhymes and I'm dope.  There are quite a few emerging female MCs who don't write, and if they do they are not that hot.  I am also organic and homegrown.  No one tells me what to spit about, how to dress, how to act, etc.  I feel like some of these chicks are puppets.  Some are just not believable to me.  Coming from other countries with Southern accents, I just don't get it.  Oh and I can freestyle my ass off."


IAR: What influenced the concept for "Bubble Gum?"
Justina: "I chew a sh*t ton of gum, no bullsh*t.  I'm a gum fiend.  And of course there's the double meaning." (Laughs)


IAR: What can we expect from "Route 80?"
Justina: "Crack Cocaine for the ears. (Laughs)  I'm very proud of Route 80.  I think people will really get a feel for who I am and the different sides of me.  I have put so much grind into this project and just my music in general and I know the passion is translated through this project.  There is something for everyone on Route 80."


IAR: How did the deal with SRC/Universal actualize?
Justina: "Through my manager, Lee Resnick." 


IAR: Artists/Producers you want to work with?
Justina: "Kanye, Nicki, Drake, MGK, Yelawolf, Wiz, Gaga, Timberland, Swizz."


IAR: What's the best project you've been a part of so far?
Justina: "Route 80."


IAR: Future plans/projects?
Justina: "I am on the 2012 East Coast run of the Warped Tour.  I am so hype for that.  It's gonna be madness!!!  Check out my tour dates on the Vans Warped Tour Website and also on www.justinamusic.com and Twitter @JustinaMusic."


www.justinamusic.com
Follow on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/JustinaMusic  

No comments:

Post a Comment