Monday, August 13, 2012

IAR Interview: Jean Grae

 Present day hip-hop is altering and evolving daily.  Sustainability and longevity in the game gets lost in the shuffle, as artists take their timely shot at overnight success.  The emergence of new artists is far more potent then the resurgence of seasoned artists.  As the game itself transforms, so do the attitudes and tolerance of the fans, making lasting relevance only for the rarest breed of MC.  Jean Grae is that rare breed.  Since 1996, Grae has been paving the way, not only for female artists, but males alike, and doing so from the proverbial, but existing, hip-hop underground.  What she has proved is that lyricism, perseverance, and work ethic trump all else.  Grae pioneered the idea that female MC's don't have to sell image or sex, but instead, can be lyrical and possess the same gritty attitude and in-you-face persona as any male artist, and be successful.  The South African native has perpetuated a sound that has not only stayed consistent with decades of change, but has re-defined antiquated lanes that hip-hop's been missing.  Having released multiple projects (Attack Of Attacking Things, The Bootleg Of The Bootleg EP, The Evil Jeanius w/Blue Sky Black Death, etc.) and having worked with the majority of big names in the industry (Wale, Styles P, The Roots, and 9th Wonder to name a few) Jean Grae has kept the true spirit of the art form alive with a cipher approach and unparalleled, intelligent wordplay and has been able to transcend the rap game's generational gaps.  Legacy.  Legend.
Trendsetter.  These are the operative words when examining her career and what she has been able to accomplish.  After a four year hiatus, (if you can even call it that) Grae has returned to her breeding ground of prominence.  As she gears up for the release of "Cake or Death" and "Gotham Down" the rap vet and NY repper is once again proving how unmitigated talent and progression outlasts time.  It's A Rap had the opportunity to catch up with the Evil Jeanius herself and with the release of her most recent mixtape "Cookies or Comas" (2011) and features on tracks with Pharoahe Monch and Talib Kweli, Jean Grae is once again staking her undeniable claim on the hip-hop world.  She's back, stronger than ever, and with no departure in sight.

IAR: How has your South African heritage and New York upbrining shaped you as not only an artist, but a person altogether?
JG: "It's made me better than everyone else on earth.  Nah, just kidding.  That's so arrogant!  Better than 98% of other people."

IAR: What triggered the decision to change your name from What? What? to Jean Grae?
JG: "I was going to start working as a solo artist.  Also, I didn't see that name becoming less annoying to introduce myself as."

IAR: Having such an impacting and lasting career, how have you not only managed to stay relevant, but be a forging and innovative presence in Hip-Hop?
JG: "I think not making "dated" or "follow the trend" music is key.  Make timeless music.  Make the art that you want to. Consistently push yourself to evolve and improve as a human being and an artist.  Goes hand in hand.  I don't settle.  I don't say, "Well, this is it, I think I'm pretty good now." (at whatever)  There's always room for improvement and growth and always something new to learn."

IAR: You took a short hiatus, how do you think the rap game has changed in that time period?
JG: "Mmmm, even in my "hiatus" I wasn't really on a hiatus.  I was still appearing on songs and performing.  I don't know.  Things change because they have to.  It's 2012.  Nothing's going to be like 1996.  The model for a "successful rap career" is completely different.  The technology has changed everything and the access to people has changed everything."

IAR: How has your music grown from let's say, "Attack of Attacking Things" to your newest project?
JG: "Leaps and bounds.  I was young.  I hadn't exactly found my voice yet.  I think it's such an interesting project, looking back.  That would be a LOOONG question to answer.  I think it's better explained via the actual music."

IAR: To true hip-hop heads you're undoubtedly the "Queen of the Underground."  Do you feel that way?
JG: "Nah.  I don't know what "the underground" means in this day.  I don't know what that's supposed to sound like.  I'm totally "the Boss of me" though. (Laughs)  I'm gonna' go with that title."

IAR: Any artists/producers you want to work with that you haven't yet?
JG: "A lot.  I've been really blessed to work with legends and absolute genius so far, so I hope to continue on that path."

IAR: What can we expect from the new projects "Cake or Death" and "Gotham Down" as far as lyrically, as well as the production side and features?
JG: "Ooh!  I'm not telling about features!  Lyrically, Gotham Down is different from Cake Or Death.  Cake has a lot more vulnerability and uncomfortable moments.  Gotham Down is produced entirely by me.  Cake Or Death has some amazing producers and live musicians."

IAR: Future plans/projects?
JG: "Gotham Down LP, Cake Or Death EP.  "Life With Jeannie" is the 30 show I'm writing and directing, that'll be soon.  Yes, a bunch of fun stuff.  Also, VIDEOS, VIDEOS AND MORE VIDEOS!  Really excited to get into the visual aspect of all of these projects.  Break a bunch of rules and find some new ones, then break those."

Visit www.jeangrae.com

Download Jean Grae music from www.itunes.com

Follow on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/JeanGreasy

No comments:

Post a Comment