Monday, April 16, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Killa J

Killa J is by no means new to the game.  Granted his fortuitous mainstream success has yet to actualize, but that is not a question of "if" but a  determination of "when."  Being there is copious amounts of talent hailing from the DMV, standing out is often times difficult.  Killa J is standing out.  What makes him unique, although he's young, is not only his talent, but his work ethic and firm grasp on the intricacy that is expended in making full and complete music.  Even the most casual hip-hop listener can take any one of his projects, (4th and Inches, Caviar Dreams, Hide Ya Beats, A1) and see that the production, melodies, hooks, lyrics, and mixing is thoroughly intact.  His instinctual nature when creating music is what will propel his career to the next level.  He's superb lyrically, but PASSION is what sets his word play apart from the rest.  Every bar Killa digs deeper and deeper exposing his vehemence for lyricism and his devotion to making people not only listen, but hang decisively on every word.  His metaphors, punch-lines, and messages grant him the freedom and access to merge into any lane he chooses in hip-hop, making him an artist with no boundaries.  It's A Rap had the opportunity to uncover more about this VA rhymer and while youth is in his corner and time is on his side, Killa J has the heart of a fighter, the wisdom of a veteran, and is quietly and effortlessly killing the competition.  


IAR: When did you get your start in hip-hop?
KJ: "I started writing verses back when I was in the 2nd grade.  At that point it was something that separated me from the crowd because it wasn't something that other kids my age were doing.  I continued writing music and recording it in home studios until it evolved to where it is now."


IAR: Describe your sound.
KJ: "I describe my sound as a unique one because I have songs that will get a party going and songs that will make you just think about life.  I talk about my life as a college student and as a college dropout.  You can really hear my hunger for success in my music."


IAR: How did you get the name Killa J?
KJ: "It's honestly something that I thought of when i was really young.  Honestly, I wish I would have been a little more creative back then and thought of a more original and unique name that portrays me in a better way.  I could change it anytime, but I've already acquired a lot of buzz under that name which makes it harder to transition."


IAR: What's setting you apart from other emerging artists?
KJ: "My work ethic and my team.  Within a year, I was able to write, record, and release 4 mixtapes with each one being better than the one before.  Without the help of any record label, just a few friends from college, we were able to promote our music to over 100K people, gain a fanbase of over 30K+, and received over 100K+plays and 40K+ downloads."


IAR: Who/What has been influential to you?
KJ: "My family has been a big influence on my career.  They give me support which is a huge investment.  My team is also a big influence.  We keep each other motivated and ready to make that next move to becoming better."


IAR: What was the concept behind A1?
KJ: "A1 (Artist Of A New Era) was a pretty dope idea I had while just chilling outside with my manager.  We wanted to make a mixtape with a lot of the up and coming artists, which would also expose me to their fanbases and vice versa."


IAR: What's it like collaborating with other artists from the DMV like Los and Phil Ade?
KJ: "It's pretty tight.  I enjoyed working with them both.  They both delivered on their verses and made the mixtape that much better."


IAR: Where is the DMV's spot in Hip-Hop?
KJ: "In the next few years, I see the DMV having a large involvement in hip- hop like Atlanta, New York, and Houston already have.  With artists like Wale, Chris Brown, Pusha T, Los, Phil Ade, Fat Trel, and myself just to name a few, I definitely see the DMV becoming huge in hip-hop soon because it's been overlooked for too long."


IAR: Artists/Producers you want to work with?
KJ: "I want to work with artists like Wayne, Wale, J Cole, and Drake.  A few producers I want to work with are Just Blaze, The Runners, and Lex Luger."


IAR: Future Plans/Projects?
KJ: "I'm currently working on my next mixtape, title coming soon.  I also plan on recording the next installment of my "Hide Ya Beats" series in which I spit over industry instrumentals."


www.killaj.com
Follow on Twitter @KillaJGetItPopn

No comments:

Post a Comment