Sunday, April 1, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Meyhem Lauren

Hip-Hop is deeply rooted.  As the craft has evolved, so have some  artist's approach to their style and technique, thus allowing themselves to stray from the groundwork their rap ancestry laid before them.  Meyhem Lauren is opting to stick closely to those roots.  The Queens spitter isn't interested in conforming to current industry archetypes at the expense of compromising who he is as an artist.  He's a street dude, through and through.  Lauren's rhymes act as a disciple and ambassador to street reality and give a voice to the people who otherwise wouldn't have one.  He's a raw MC to the core.  ML's style consists of no gimmicks or artifice, just bars.  His music is the actualization and embodiment of intrinsic street anecdotes that appeal not only to the hood, but hip-hop fans of all walks.  Meyhem's metaphors and punch-lines might be some of the hardest in the game, which is unquestionably the rationale for his continuously growing buzz, that reaches far past the big apple's boroughs.  It's A Rap had the opportunity to inquire what's next for the NY rhymer and it's clear that his style and wordplay are not only in categorical allegiance with rap's origins, but he is laying down exceptional groundwork of his own that will raise the bar and transform the current standard in hip-hop.


IAR: What inspired the name Meyhem Lauren?
ML: "It came from the name Mey-Lo, which was basically a name that I went by in the streets back in the day.  Meyhem Lauren is just the new improved version of Mey-Lo.  As I grew mentally and physically the name grew with me."


IAR: When did you get your start in Hip-Hop?
ML: "I've been a fan since elementary school, as far as recording goes I didn't hit my first real studio til' I went to Hydra Studio with DJ J-Love in '04, but I honestly didn't take things serious or view music as something I could do as a full time profession until several years later."


IAR: Being from NY, how has that influenced your sound?
ML: "It just gave it that certain feel and attitude that you can only absorb in NY.  My rhymes are a reflection of my surroundings and personal experiences.  If I didn't grow up in New York I'd probably have a completely different sound and view on life.  New York is all about staying a step ahead of the world, innovation, and constant motion.  I try to apply that mind state to my music when I sit down to compose a symphony."


IAR: Where does NY stand as far as it's place in hip-hop?
ML: "In my eyes it's still number one.  A lot of dope new material has come out of NY in the last few years.  I don't look down on any other regions or judge artists by where they come from, I basically let the music speak for itself, but for the most part NYC hip- hop is my preference."


IAR: Is your raw lyricism based on a 90's influence?
ML: "I grew up during the 90's, so that era helped mold my style and is a major part of my foundation as an artist.  Like I stated before, NY is all about being a step ahead, growth, and innovation, so although the 90's is a major influence, so is today and tomorrow. Something that is timeless is fly forever, not just in a certain era, so at the end of the day my goal is to make timeless material."


IAR: Artists/Producers you want to work with?
ML: "Anybody that shares the same vision that I have as far music is concerned.  At the end of the day it's all about chemistry and making good music."


IAR: Upcoming projects?
ML: "I'm about to drop this "RESPECT THE FLY SHIT" EP produced by Tommy Mas and Harry Fraud in a few weeks.  After that, me and Buckwild (D.I.T.C) are dropping a project together and either at the end of the year or top of next year, I'm dropping my "Everyday is Thanksgiving" LP.  So between those three projects I've been putting in a lot of work lately."


IAR: Is being independent a better look for you or do you want to sign to a major?
ML: "As long as I'm making good music and making money it doesn't matter.  I'm not looking to get signed, but if I get an offer that makes sense I might agree to hold hands and do the forbidden dance with a major."


IAR: Best project you've been a part of so far?
ML: "My "Self Induced Illness" LP, "Clarified Butter" mixtape, all of the work that I've done on my brother Action Bronson's projects, and hosting J-Loves "Acknowledge The Takeover" mixtape series are all glorious accomplishments, but after the new projects drop, who knows what first place will be."


IAR: What are you doing differently to set yourself apart from other emerging artists?
ML: "I am not wearing pants that cut off blood circulation by squeezing my ankles and waist to the point that I have to walk sideways and move extremely carefully so that I don't get a run in my jeans."


www.meyhemlauren.com
Follow on Twitter @MeyhemLauren

3 comments:

  1. lmfao at the last question...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ "run in the jeans"....too many dudes dressing like ladies smh this dude is speaking truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lambada with a major!

    ReplyDelete