Sunday, February 5, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Mod Sun

 The embodying of hippie lifestyle may not be something that resonates with hip-hop culture.  In fact, some may make the argument that aside from the recreational "weed" use, the two cultures are actually polar opposite art forms.  The question I would subsequently ask those nay-sayers would be, "have you listened to Mod Sun?"  The 24 year old MC, (real name Derek Smith) has successfully combined raw hip-hop lyricism with the fun-loving, free spirited , beatnik attitude of a young adult from the Haight-Ashbury district circa 1965.  Mod Sun is a true artist.  One who preaches what he believes no matter what the initial perception may be.  Aside from rap, Mod is a true musician.  He plays a variety of instruments which enables him to be more involved in every aspect of his music, and it's evident in the product.  The majority of Mod Sun's lyrics are "herbal" friendly, however, his messages are inspiring.  He has adopted a "no fans, just friends" (#FriendBase) concept that has allowed him to connect with many faithful followers of his music.  It's A Rap had the opportunity to journey inside the mind of Hip-Hop's hippie to see just how powerful positivity can be in the rap game.  "Movement On Dreams, Stand Under None" is not only his acronym, but his way of demonstrating how doing for others and chasing your dreams can cultivate change.
Peace.  Love.  Mod Sun.

IAR: When did you get your start in hip-hop?
MS:  "No lie, Tupac "Changes" and DMX "Ruff Ryders Anthem" were the first hip- hop songs that I loved.  I started freestylin' when I was on tour playin' drums, I was 18 then.  From that point on, all I wanted to do was rap."

IAR: What/Who have been major influences on you so far?
MS: "Bob Dylan, the "Law of Attraction," Eyedea & Abilities, of course the #FriendBase, and my team." (Mike BryENT,  Pat Brown, Dave Beame, Cisco Adler, and JL Websites).

IAR: How would you classify your style of hip-hop?
MS: "Hippy-Hop, an audible smile."

IAR: Should marijuana be legalized?
MS: "Yes and No.  I don't want the government controlling how the weed is grown, I dont really trust them.  Buuuuuuut, I would love for people to feel more safe while smoking.

IAR: What inspired the #FriendBase concept?
MS: "I never enjoyed being called a "fan."  It puts a boundary between the producer and the consumer.  You must always remember you need the opposite to exist.  "Good" would not mean anything if "bad" wasn't a possibility."

IAR: Artists/Producers you want to work with?
MS: "So many....I'll just name one of each.  Artist: Tegan & Sara. Producer: Pharell."

IAR: Future plans/projects?
MS: "A new EP before summer called "Happy As Fuck."  A huge summer tour TBA.  Also, a new mixtape in August."

IAR: How are you able to connect hip-hop culture with a vastly different hippy culture?
MS: "I consider myself a "new hippy." The hippy part of what I do is not just cuz' I smoke weed and have long hair. It's all about the positivity within my music. I'm working to inspire and help people empower themselves. I believe being happy is the only way to truly "win" any situation."

IAR: Any musical influences outside of hip-hop?
MS: "Yes.  A LOT.  Allman Brothers are my favorite rock band. Bob Dylan is my favorite songwriter.  Miles Davis is my favorite musician.  Bad Brains is my favorite "punk" band.  Frank Sinatra is my favorite singer.  Jean-Michel Basquiat is my favorite painter. PJ Lad is my favorite skateboarder.  Mason Aguire is my favorite snowboarder."

IAR: Dopest moment you've had in your career so far?
MS: "The Rolling Stone cover contest was pretty amazing.  I mean just being in that magazine is truly breath-taking. Helping people out exceeds everything though."


www.modsunmusic.com
Follow on Twitter @MODSUN

No comments:

Post a Comment