Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Ryshon Jones

There is an evident absence of profound storytellers in hip-hop.  In an industry that can be over-saturated with party anthems, repetition, and style over substance, Ryshon Jones is masterfully reviving an outdated concept that originated this art form.  It's simple, HE IS TELLING STORIES.  The Philly native's approach isn't solely to make music that appeals to the masses, it's to conceptualize a project that consists of depth and substance, and do so in a way that listeners can itemize.  His music is deep, thought-provoking, intuitive, and astute.  Ryshon is an artist who is unwaveringly constructing the formula for combing raw hip-hop and modern day folklore tradition.  His on record swag and ego are reminiscent of a street savvy dude who's life experiences have hardened his exterior, revitalized his mind, and enabled the ability to express his pain, and it flourishes through his music.  His experiences and stories are anything but a facade and allow people the attenuate occasion of bearing witness to a unique, veritable,  hip-hop artist.  It's A Rap had the opportunity of interviewing the Philly spitter and the truth is, the majority of his tale is still yet to be told. 


IAR: When did you get your start in hip hop?
RJ: "I was about 8 years old, my cousin had stole a beat tape from a car.  I found a tape recorder and we just started freestyling one day.  I did it daily, then on to a karaoke machine, then on to laptops, then in studios.  When I first started I didn't know sh*t and I'm still learning, but I didn't know sh*t back at that age.  Of course who expected me to know about "the game" then, but I'm glad I met the people I met."


IAR: Being from Philly, how does that influence your music?
RJ: "It doesn't...except for my hate towards the crime."


IAR: What was the concept behind Happily UnHappy?
RJ: "It's a follow up tape to my "Friday" EP which connects with my "She's Leaving For College" mixtape.  Basically, I'm trying to get over my college girlfriend, finding new girls and the sh*t just never works out! It's like I can't find happiness."


IAR: Artists you want to work with?
RJ: "Coldplay, Kendrick Lamar, and Kanye."


IAR: Producers you want to work with?
RJ: "Kanye and No I.D."


IAR: Describe your sound.
RJ: "My sound.  I've heard a lot of things.  If I had to say, my sound is life in reverse."


IAR: Future plans/projects?
RJ: "Po Diss Head" mixtape, "Happily UnHappy 2," "Highaches" mixtape, and more sh*t to make you  say, "wat zeeee fuck."


Follow on Twitter @RyshonJones

No comments:

Post a Comment