Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Nacho Picasso

It seems as if Nacho Picasso has become somewhat of a permanent fixture on  "IAR."  From the "Generation neXt" write up to the "Lord Of The Fly" album review, the appearance would be typical of a fan site.  It's not.  Nacho is just that dynamic of an artist.  Nacho Picasso is adding a dark and macabre twist to punch line flow, mixing in a hint of comedic relief, while maintaining complete relevance and connection among his listeners.  He's good.  He's REALLY good.  He's good to a point where you feel he's displaying all of his emotions through every bar and doing so in an effortless fashion.  His ego and swagger on record are easily identifiable, but his complexity is far reaching.  He's intricate, obscure, and methodical.  Nacho is also humorous, approachable, and an avid comic book fan.  His music and demeanor crosses boundaries within the culture and connects fans of all different walks and it seems his personality does the same.  It's A Rap had the opportunity to get a further look into what comprises Nacho Picasso and one thing is for certain, above everything, he's Hip-Hop.


IAR: When did you first get involved in hip-hop?
NP:  "wrote my first rap when I was 9.  Then by middle school I was freestyle battling everybody."


IAR: How did you get the name Nacho Picasso?
NP:  "A shaman pimp came to me in a fever dream and blessed me with it, and said, "do my bidding."


IAR: Major influences musically?
NP: "My biggest are probably Mac Dre, Cam'ron, and Rick James."


IAR: How did you link up with BSBD?
NP: "I met him through Raised By Wolves who had done sh*t on BSBD's earlier stuff, and we're cousins. He did my first tape, "Blunt Raps." Then he introduced me to Kingston and we became friends. Then Young God moved up here from San Francisco and a while later we just all started working together as a unit, and it's been that way ever since."


IAR: How would you categorize yourself lyrically?
NP: "I would like to say I have some of the most clever bars out there.  I want people to hear my insight on dark humor.  I like to be a walking contradiction.  Call me the ignorant genius."


IAR: Artist/Producers you want to work with?
NP: "Blue Sky Black Death and Cam'ron.  I think me and Danny Brown could make a really good offensive song that would make old people cringe.  I'd like to make a spacey song with The Weeknd."


IAR: You a legit comic head or was "Marvel" just a song concept?
NP: "You can tell by the references and the way that I used them that I'm a genuine fan.  I didn't use the most popular dudes.  I made references to Cage, Beta Ray, and Eddie Brock. I grew up on that sh*t.  Wasn't nothing to do but smoke and read comics."


IAR: How has being independent enhanced your career, as opposed to being signed to a major label?
NP: "Freedom.  We can do what we want.  We don't have to answer to nobody, as long as the whole movement agrees with the move then we can move on it. No middle man either." 


IAR: You have some hilarious punch lines.  Is your music a direct reflection of your personality?
NP: "Hell yeah.  Definitely.  People tell me I'm funny but it's usually when I'm serious."


IAR: Future plans/upcoming projects?
NP: "We're just gonna keep cranking them out with BSBD and Raised By Wolves.  We'll definitely have another one pretty soon. All we do is work." 


No comments:

Post a Comment