Tuesday, July 31, 2012

IAR Interview: Ashtrobot

"Insert diversity here."  Multi-dimensional and complex abilities are key in the livelihood of being a successful artists.  L.A. native Ashtrobot however, is not just an artist, he is a creative and innovative musical machine.  Aside from the obvious correlation between a fine tuned musical apparatus and his name ending in "bot," the comparison isn't depicted as comedic.  He raps, sings, producers, engineers, DJ's, and plays instruments.  He assimilates multiple genres of music from rap, dubstep, rock, and pop to create a sound that is unlike any other in the hip-hop industry.  Above all other characteristics, he's something that is near obsolete in the rap game, a true musician.  Ash Riser's (another one of his aliases) mind operates on a different, unique, and more distinct plain then others.  Playing in bands and DJ'ing have added visionary components to his music, applying a full understanding of musical genres outside of hip-hop, purifying his craft all the more.  While still remaining somewhat of an "underground" artist, Ashtrobot is making major waves in the industry
having worked closely on a number of projects for TDE (Top Dawg Entertainment) including superstar artists Kendrick Lamar and Ab-Soul.  He embodies a work ethic that excels and is necessary for achieving success.  In an industry that is cyclicly fluctuating, Ash is creating a distinct and emblematic sound that is neglected in today's hip-hop world.  It's A Rap had the chance to catch up with the D.R.E.A.M. Brigade general and his unconventional style mixed with an infectious musical expertise is formulating a complete sound that will eventually be the standard for not only the rap industry, but other's as well.  Ashtrobot is fully prepared for industry takeover.  Batteries not included.


IAR: How long have you been involved with music and when did you get your start?
ASH: "I've been involved in music since I was 14, my parents both played guitar and were in bands or what not, so eventually I picked it up and started making noise. I was raised in a house of music, which was great for me because it was embedded at a young age.  It was never forced on me, it was just there, so when the time was right, it happened."


IAR: How was the transition from starting in rock and moving to dubstep and hip-hop?
ASH: (Laughs) "Well, I was in my band (Pistol Pistol) and we were doing a bunch of shows, getting some good exposure and what not, then things just started falling apart.  We were all really young, so I had figured that was going to happen, at the same time my friends and I were going to Underground in downtown L.A., pure filth party's called "Bass Face" and "Smog" crew parties. They were exciting, and I wanted to learn how to make that exciting fresh new music.  Mind you, this was 2007, 2008 where I really started fuc*ing with bass music.  It was a lot different than it is now.  I kept going in production and DJ'ing shows and sh*t to keep some income coming in, as well as have fun on stage. (Laughs) plus fu*k going out to clubs if you're not playing at them. I've always been making hip-hop though, I was in my first hip-hop group "The LA Lights" while I was in Pistol Pistol, making beats and rapping, recording through the mic on my laptop in the big homies car outside of my house."


IAR: We see you go by two names, Ashtrobot and Ash Riser, is there a difference between them?
ASH: "Ash Riser is my god given name, Ashtrobot is an alias I put together for DJ'ing and making beats, kind of like Marshall Mathers, Eminem, Slim Shady.  I guess it's just different entities, different personas. Ashtrobot is just a character that allows me to act like an as*hole and no one questions it.  Like "oh yeah, Ashtro is turnt up throwing bottles and destroying sh*t again." (Laughs)


IAR: Lyrically, how would you describe your style?
ASH: "I don't know really, I just write sh*t that pops into my head, I like to tell stories, but then sometimes I like to get sh*t off my chest in a way that other people could relate to.  I keep it very real in my music with myself especially, super open about the problems I have, things I've done,.  I'd say I'm more honest in my music than I would be with a long term girlfriend or family even. Which is stupid because everyone hears it, but I feel better expressing sh*t in that form of art.  That's a hard question."


IAR: Growing up in Los Angeles and it being such a diverse area, do you have any other passions or interests beyond music?
ASH: "Hell yeah, I love skating.  I used to skate all the time growing up, I fell on a rail at San Pedro high and compressed my spine and cracked my hip in high school, so I slowed down on that sh*t pretty tough.  I've been skating in my loft every once in a while, see if I can still do sh*t. Trying to get my 3 flips and nollie big heals back. (Laughs) I fuc*ing love smoking weed, OG Kush all day. Women weed and weather.  I'm really into film as well, I've been co-directing and directing my music videos, it's always been a hobby.  When I'm to old to kill it on stage I'm gonna fu*k with movies, I have a couple of screen plays I've been workin on for a couple of years now as a side thing."


IAR: You wear many hats when it comes it comes to music from producer, writer, vocalist, and lyricist.  Is there one aspect that you prefer over the others?
ASH: "Uhm, if I'm not trying to write I'll make a beat or mix something down that I've already done, Or visa versa, it keeps a healthy flow for my peace of mind when I'm creating something.  I try to keep myself busy in the lab, it's therapeutic.  Keep myself out of trouble, just locking in and getting work done.  Writing and singing comes really easy to me, production was hard to get down and I'm still learning so much every time I sit in front of a rig and start getting down."


IAR: You're involved with a variety of different music, what/who are some of your influences musically?
ASH: "I grew up on Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Clash, Beastie Boys, Arrested Development, Propeller Heads, Nirvana, sh*t like that because of my mother.  When I got old enough to figure out what I liked, they were all still in there, but I grew new favorites, like when I was a kid, Eminem and Dr. Dre were my sh*t.  Biggie, MF Doom Madlib, The Strokes, White Stripes, Pharrell. All that sh*t, I like different sh*t, Misfits, Descendents.  Man, so many bands I can't continue a list, but that's exactly why I make the music I do now.  It's a mix of all that sh*t."


IAR: How did you get involved with TDE?  How is it working with artists such as Kendrick Lamar and Ab-Soul?
ASH: "I went to Jr. High with Ali, and he knew I was doing  my music thing in high school or whatever, and I knew he was doing sh*t.  A specific memory I have was Ali taking my drummer and I out to lunch to talk about signing us to a label he was starting. Then a couple of years later he hit me up to come through and sing on one of the artist's tracks he was working on, that artist was Kendrick.  That's when I met dot, in like '09 because Ali had started engineering at TDE.  We did Determined, then he called me back we did Barbedwire, then he called me back we did Ronald Reagan Era and Keishas Song, and then I did Beautiful Death with Soulo.  It was really the most organic thing, coming into the TDE camp. I have mad respect for all of them, on top of that I like their music, so I'm privileged and blessed to be in the position I'm in.  I'm younger than them by a few years, I wasn't really ready as an artist."


IAR: Besides the TDE family, are there any other artists/producers that you want to work with?
ASH: "Rick Rubin, Jack White, Pharrell, Joker, Benga, Skream, Madlib, MF Doom, Danny Brown, A$AP Mob, Rza, Earl Sweatshirt and Domo Genesis."


IAR: Future plans/projects?
ASH: "I'm releasing a collection of songs produced, written, and recorded by yours truly, I haven't named the project yet, but it's coming. (Laughs) I'm also working on a record with my homie Jon Brown at Archwood music.  I'm co-producing a DNB/hip-hop/ Live EDM group with Richie Stites (Outkast, Michael Jackson, Transplants, etc.) with the homies in my crew D.R.E.A.M. Brigade(since '09) Working on the D.R.E.A.M. Brigade mixtape and beat tape coming this summer, collaborating with a bunch of people and trying to make some timeless music.  That's the goal."


Follow on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/ASHTROBOT




No comments:

Post a Comment