Thursday, July 12, 2012

IAR Interview: Ethelwulf

The reminiscent feel of hip-hop's past and antiquated culture has made a colossal resurgence in recent years.  The swag, ego, musical composition, and the outright feel of the culture has taken a retro step back, while continuously evolving and progressing.  The collective assortment of Raider Klan (RVIDXR KLVN) is playing a significant and cogent part in the rap games evolution.  Klan spitter Ethelwulf is setting himself apart, combing new age 'phonk" with a vintage approach to his music, creating a unique paradox within the culture.  Ethelwulf is the personification of innovation.  Take Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, a early Mystikal, coupled with a trippy intellect and the signature RVIDXR sound, and the finished product is Ethelwulf.  His music creates a metaphorical time machine in which he transports you to a 90's era feel, while still maintaining the forging and pioneering style for which all KLVN fans have become accustomed.  Even though his craft leans towards the darker side, the allure of his content, sharp-tongued delivery, and archaic, yet forging, style make him avant-garde, original, and most importantly, authentic.  Ethelwulf possesses the confidence and novelty to make music his way, unrestricted and uninhibited, which is why his rise within the hip-hop ranks is inevitable.  It's A Rap had the privilege of catching up with the BLVCKLVND RVIDXR KLVN member and with his groundbreaking mixtape "The Wolf Gang's Radolphe," a collection of features, and an unparalleled sound, Ethelwulf is creating a genre within an existing genre and invariably putting the Phonk back in hip-hop.


IAR: When did you get started in hip-hop?
Ethelwulf: "My friends took me to a studio one day two years ago, fuc*ed up and let me on the mic and now I'm here."


IAR: How did you link up with RVIDXR KLVN and what role does that play in your music?
Ethelwulf: "Purrp (SpaceGhostPurrp) found me back in march.  I used to think the way I rap was played out, but the Klvn made me comfortable enough to bring back the phonk."


IAR: What inspired the name Ethelwulf?
Ethelwulf: "Ethel means "noble," which I am to my klvn family ethelwulf was also a king.  I am king of my flows you could say."


IAR: There is a faint feel of 90's Bone Thugs in your records, is that an element of your music or your own personal writing style?
Ethelwulf: "Uhm, I don't know,  I learned a lot from bone.  I've had my own flow mastered since middle school."


IAR: What was the concept behind "The Wolf Gang's Rodolphe?"
Ethelwulf: "I think of myself as the wolfgang leader, Rodolphe means "famous wolf" get it? Yeah."


IAR: The KLVN sound is very specific, do you approach all of your projects with that same feel in mind?
Ethelwulf: "Uhm, yeah as far as flowing out on the beats yeah."


IAR: Influences?
Ethelwulf: "Mystikal, Korn, Gangsta Pat, Bizzy Bone, Juicy J, Koopsta Knicca, Japanese anime music, Enya, Friendzone, and sh*t loads more."


IAR: Artists/producers you want to work with?
Ethelwulf: "Odd Future."


IAR: Describe your style.
Ethelwulf: "Strong, certain, my own art."


IAR: Future plans/projects?
Ethelwulf: "Lord knows, I'm just living everyday, follow my Twitter."






Follow on Twitter @www.twitter.com/TheEthelwulf


Download "The Wolf Gang's Rodolphe" at www.datpiff.com


2 comments:

  1. Yo we fucks with you heavy in B-more Ethel keep grinding.

    RECLAIM 99.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, shouts from the UK!

    ReplyDelete