Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"IAR" Interview: Dough Dough Da Don


Rvidxr Klvn (Raider Klan) is not only a hip-hop movement, but a family.  Like all families, each member brings their own elements, behavior, and idiosyncrasies as individuals to the collective.  Dough Dough Da Don is an integral part to the Rvidxr family.  Dough Dough's style fits the RK paradigm flawlessly.  His flow and delivery are methodic, calculating, and keen.  His lyrical content is eccentric, quirky, and quizzical and his overall feel as an artist is that of an modern day Easy-E but with a pioneering sense of current day urban ideals.  Dough Dough is an enigma.  On his newest tape "Therapy" the content ranges from a gangster rap framework, to explicit sexual content, all the way to profoundly rooted and insightfully intuitive messages about the complexities of life.  He as no specific lane, which in hip-hop, can not only be challenging, but also advantageous to an artist.  The spirit of 90's hip-hop, (not only the music, but the style and feel) manifests itself in Dough Dough.  In an age where the rap industry is based on the appeal of catchiness, DDDD goes against the grain to give us music that is reminiscent of the best decade hip-hop has ever seen.  Impressively, his music is authentic and original, as opposed to an emulation of hip-hop's past.  The entire cultivation of his music transports us to a time when rap was in a state of revolt and revolution, when the messages meant something, and when rap was a separate subculture not restricted to the confines of modern society.  Dough Dough isn't just a rapper, but more of a revolutionary.  It's a Rap had the opportunity to talk with the Rvidxr Klvn member and with the release of "Therapy" and a significant cult following, Dough Dough Da Don is making noise in the realms of the underground, and with a strong a momentous backing from the Klvn, it demonstrates that blood is thicker than water and his individual movement has just begun.  Family First.  

IAR: When did you get your start in hip-hop?
DD: "I was nine years old when I wrote my first rap, and it was called "NI**AZ" no lie.  My big brother locked me in the room and told me to come up with a song if I wanted to go and play so I wrote a song called "Ni**AZ."  (Laughs)  I still have that rap in my dresser til' this day."

IAR: How did you link up with Rvidxr Klvn?
DD: "RVIDXR KLVN is my family, my blood, we linked up from birth.  SpaceGhostPurrp is a well known artist and a great producer of RVIDXR KLVN.  He is my blood brother, really my first cousin but we close like brothers. The CEO of RAIDER KLAN RECORDS, which is Kadafi, is my blood brother, same father different mother.  So we linked from birth."

IAR: Give me a rundown of the members of the KLVN.  How does an artist become a part of that movement?
DD: "You have what we like to call the BG'S (baby god's) of the KLVN: Yung Simmie, Denzel Curry, and Key Nyata, very talented but very young artists with so much room to grow.  Then you have what we like to call the OG'S (original god's) of the KLVN, which is me, my brother SpaceGhostPurrp, and my brother Kadafi.  There are many artists of the KLVN but I'm not about to name them all, but I can't forget our beautiful first lady of the KLVN which is Amber London, a very talented young artist from Texas.  The way you get into the KLVN is by being a strong and humble individual that follows no man/woman, do you, and stick to yourself but stay loyal because we are a family."

IAR: What was the concept behind "Therapy?"
DD: "Just like the name implies, THERAPY. (Laughs) You know, it was me releasing any type of pressure I had onto a piece of paper in musical form, wether it was violent, sexual, or just frustration with the world itself.  It helped me get through my hard times and I'm sure if you just turn it on when you're having one of those days it will bring you some type of satisfaction."

IAR: Most of the Klvn's music has a 90's influence.  Does that apply to your style as well?
DD: "I have many styles of music, but my music always had a 90's feel to it because I am a 90's baby."

IAR: Any artists you want to work with?
DD: "Honestly, all the artists I would like to work with are either dead or in jail, and it's sad it's like that."

IAR: Producers you want to work with?
DD: "I'm waiting on the greatest producer of all time to sit me down and say he ready to go track for track with me on a tape to show the world how we used to do it back in '98 in the back of our grand mother's house.  Which is my brother, SpaceGhostPurrp."

IAR: Influences?
DD: "Tupac Amaru Shakur, Soulja Slim A.K.A. Magnolia Slim, Scarface, UGK and Me." (Laughs)

IAR: Describe your sound.
DD: "From the heart."

IAR: Future plans/projects?
DD: "I have a new tape coming out sometime this year called "CENTURY OF A RAIDER" and I will be out performing shows with my family.  RVIDXR I$ THX KLVN VND WX GXNX BX RICH!"

Follow on Twitter @

No comments:

Post a Comment