Monday, June 18, 2012

IAR Interview: Tez McClain

"Southside I'm a vet, but in this game I'm a rook."  Introspection. As the above lines from Atlanta native Tez McClain depicts, he is well aware of his standing in the rap game, but from his music alone, "Rook" is not a word that anyone should use to define his music.  The ATL isn't synonymous with fancy lyricism and witty word play.  However, as hip-hop is ever changing and continuously evolving, so are it's inhabitants.  Tez McClain is hip to this evolution.  McClain is a student of the art form and an artist who approaches his writing with a sense of patience and delicateness similar to tested and accomplished rap veterans.  What's fascinating about his music is the inherent combination of over two decades of hip-hop style.  Each record he creates has a distinct feel of a different era in hip-hop and transports his listeners, individually, to the time when it was the best for them.  Above all else, he's an extremely potent lyricist.  Atlanta is a region where bars seem to be overlooked at times, but Mr. "Jordan's and a Gold Chain" is decimating that notion by delivering punch lines and metaphors that rival some of the best new comers to date.  His lines also deliver a sense of himself.  He truly lays out his life experience on wax, allowing the rare and diminishing connection between artist and fan, sharing the opportunity for rap purists to see what he's comprised of and what makes him such a distinguished artist.  It's a Rap had the opportunity to link up with Tez McClain, and with his release of the "Wishful Thinking" series and a heightening buzz amongst the hip-hop ranks, he is more than just an artist to watch for, he's an essential rapper that is impossible for any true fan to ignore.  Even though he's just getting started, his road to rap prominence will be anything but wishful thinking.


IAR: When did you get your start in Hip-Hop?
TM: "I first started recording when I was 14 with this group of guys called "Greenroom".  They were all older than me, from the ages of 17-21.  Actually, they were the first real movement in Clayton County, Georgia.  Of course now everybody knows of "Clay Co." because of Waka. (Flock Flame)"


IAR: How has being from Atlanta influences you musically?
TM: "It's dope cause' a lot of people live here from out of town.  I went to college here with people from everywhere.  Being ATL is a melting pot,  I learned things about people from different parts of the country  I basically transfer it over to my music."


IAR: What impact did winning the Mountain Dew Sucker Free Challenge have on you as an artist?
TM: "Honestly not much.  Just more so a confidence builder."


IAR: Describe the concept behind the "Wishful Thinking" series.
TM: "The concept behind those tapes were this is how hip- hop is supposed to sound, in a perfect world."


IAR: How would you describe your sound?
TM: "My sound is a collection of all the eras of hip- hop, starting from the early 90's til' now, mixed with real life situations that I experience first hand or may have witnessed."


IAR: Artists you want to work with?
TM: "Anyone that's grinding as hard as I am that's making good music, old or new."


IAR: Producers you want to work with?
TM: "It's so many, but I would say DJ Premier, DJ Tomp, Mannie Fresh, No ID.  I can go on forever bro."


IAR: Best project you've been a part of so far?
TM: "The new one I'm working on now."


IAR: What can we expect from your new project?
TM: "My latest piece of work is going to be more of an album.  Spectacular production and dope lyrics."


IAR: Future plans/projects?
TM: "My latest project is called "Scoundrel."  I'm looking to release it around September this year.  I have a few other things up my sleeve, you'll just have to wait until I let them out."


Follow on Twitter @www.twitter.com/tezmcclain

No comments:

Post a Comment